Notice of Changes to NIH Policy for Issuing Certificates of Confidentiality: Effective October 1, 2017, all research that is funded wholly or in part by the NIH and collects or uses identifiable, sensitive information is deemed to be issued a Certificate of Confidentiality, and is therefore required to protect the privacy of individuals who are subjects of such research in accordance with subsection 301(d) of the Public Health Service Act. All research that was commenced or ongoing on or after December 13, 2016 and is within the scope of the policy is subject to this change.
- For more information, please see https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-17-109.html.
- Additional guidance is in development; please contact the SBS IRB office (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
- Powerpoint presentation on Certificates of Confidentiality and Privacy Certificates: The Ins and Outs of CoCs (02/22/2017)
- NIH Information Sheet for researchers regarding Certificates of Confidentiality: NIH information sheet
- National Institutes of Health's internet site on Certificates of Confidentiality: https://humansubjects.nih.gov/coc/index